from IO70RK near Polperro Cornwall
(I don't sign /P anymore as I've now registered this as my QTH)
Comments welcome on Facebook!
Moving on up 144MHz and beyond (current station Feb
good results over the past year or so with a single 12el LFA it's now
time for a serious go on 144MHz EME (prompted by the chance of Bouvet
Island which sadly was not to be).
built a batch of 5 LFAs (+ the one I already had) and the plan is for 4H
and 2V with full az/el. So far I have just errected the 4 x 12 H array -
it works like a dream! Though the booms are strong enough to be
self-supporting, mechanical resonance was a problem - but Mastrant stays
were an easy fix.
Now all I
have to do is the same for 432MHz and find space for my 1296MHz
50Mhz and my 4 x 8el Op-Des array on 50MHz is still at the centre of my
Back on the air
Step 1 -
my DXpedition 6M8GJ pressed into service - worth the effort as I got 3
new countries PJ7/W9DR,
and AP2AM :-)
Step 2 -
the rebuild - just in time for VK9X and VK9C :-)
A Slight Problem in early June 2017
A freak gust of wind
from the South shattered one of the guy anchors
and my 30m HD trailer tower "capsized":-( It fell into
the 20m trailer tower with my 4m antenna on it. The 30m tower came to
rest across the 20m trailer but the 4 x 8el 50Mhz array sheared off and
remained suspended, entangled in the 4m antenna. Not an easy job to sort
this lot out.
Amazingly, apart from the az/el head unit neither tower was badly damaged and the booms
of the Op-Des yagis were all intact with only a few elements needing
replacement! (The 4m LFA faired less well!)
4 x 8el Op-Des (from March 2016)
another heavy duty 33m tower on Ebay. I then upgraded to 4 x 8el OP-DES yagis from
InnovAntennas G0KSC. I completed the array tuning on 22/3/16: R=50 X=0 @50.200
First test: Big EME echoes and
first 2 terrestrial QSOs EI7BMB and EI3KD. LOS tests to GB3MCB are
showing around 8dB over a single 7LFA AND the pattern is very clean.
now have a secure container shack with permanent 3G and wi-fi links for
the security and webcams. Next step full remote working;-)
4 x 7LFA array 2011-2015
location is only 500m from home - just at the top of one of our fields @ 162m asl. Though it is not a
truly fantastic VHF site it is electrically VERY quiet.
Back in 2010 I tested an early version of
Justin G0KSCs Loop Fed Array antennas -
and I was very impressed - click for details. See
4 * G0KSC 7LFAs in a 6m
square with full Az/EL. on a tower that will go to 30m if I have the
They seem to work rather well at only 12m
and on a line of site path show just over 6dB improvement on my existing
6M7JHV which is at 20m!
Obviously nothing is left on site except
the antenna and solar / wireless security camera* - my shack is
installed in my truck.
* got some interesting mug shots of random visitors:-)
More photos and details here: (G8BCG
4 x 7LFA detail)
G8BCG 4 x G0KSC 7LFA image and
AZ Plot >>>>>>
(right click on image to stop slide show)
location is only 500m from home - just at the top of one of our fields @ 162m asl. Though it is not a fantastic VHF site it is electrically VERY quiet
and easily accessible.
My current setup, shown here is a 6M7JHV
@ about 18m (tower at about 2/3 up). 30 yr old Kenpro rotator from my
H44PT days and a mast head pre-amp.
This is what I recently worked E51SIX and ZL3NW on - the land slopes
gently away in all directions - and the antenna seems to have a very
good lobe around 2deg:-)
In the truck are a 756proIII, + GS35 1100W out + Laptop + wireless
internet. My licence is for 32dBW (1600w at the antenna) for weak signal
work but I don't have a "mobile" PA that will do that (yet!).
Behind the truck 15kVA diesel generator trailer with spare 10m tower
attached and the Caravan is for contest use:-)
I now have a PST61 rotator + sat TV screw Jack and controllers and hope
to finally have 4* 7ele with az/el sometime this year;-)
Bit of Site History: 1998-2008
The early Days - Circa 1998
When I made it past the 100 countries worked on 6m,
things got a little harder!
With 350w from an
IC756pro plus TE Systems Amp the limiting factor was the 3ele yagi at only 4m
high. But the 3ele and glass fibre mast was the optimum for quick erection in
the limited space at the side of the road. Fortunately, I've now been given
access to a field about 100m north of my old parking spot. The site is slightly
better than my roadside location and has enabled me to make permanent provision
for guys and mast tilt base so that I can now get a 5ele MSquared yagi 6m into
the air within a couple of minutes in any weather. Now the limiting factor is
the drive to the top of the field in my 4WD - no problems so far *.
* well, just one - see below.
Now at over 150 countries worked and with a failing solar cycle
it's getting really hard to find new countries. So, my plan is to go
for a pair of M2 6M7JHV 30' long yagis.
This is going to be tricky, bearing in mind that it has all to be
raised and lowered by one person! Currently I've just got a
single 6M7JHV @ 8m. That's all I can reliably lift until I get some
clever Gyn Pole and winch bits and pieces sorted.
G8BCG/P 6M7JHV @ 8m
I regard the site as my main secret weapon - VERY quiet.
I liked it so much I bought the field - and the house that came with
it further down the hill. Second
is my mast head pre-amp - it works! Then there is the
3-500z - only used for special occasions, this combined with a
trailer mounted generator enables me to develop 400w at the antenna
- every dB helps.